Up until now, I was composing ideas off the top of my head, but those ideas were running out. So before I dove into the next round of thumbnails and sketches, I took a trip to the Schulz Library to look at a bunch of book covers. Whenever I saw one that I thought was interesting, I snapped a photo with my cell phone. I also took a lap around Amazon.com to grab some book covers from the same genre as Basewood (Adventure/Fantasy). I compiled the best of these images into a contact sheet which I printed out and taped to my drawing board:
I really liked the idea of the inset frame in the first drawing, but the guys at L'employé du Moi thought it was too complicated. As for the rest of these drawings, they thought they were heading in the right direction, but that I could push them a bit farther. So it was back to the drawing board yet again!
So next week we'll see how far I can push these designs. Also, with a little help from my friends, I will correct some serious mistakes that I have been making so far!